Friday, May 21, 2010

My scorecard

One additional Friday question:

LarNdc asks:

When I go to ballgames I love to keep score. What does your scorecard look like?

Good luck deciphering it. Here is a typical scoresheet. No two people in the world have the same scoring system. But it doesn't matter. As long as YOU know it means that's all the counts. My system has been revised over the years, but here are the basics:

I circle all outs. A dot in the box indicates an RBI. And I keep track of all balls and strikes. The hash marks on the side are balls, the hash marks below the box are strikes. Players' positions are represented by numbers. Pitcher-1, catcher-2, first baseman-3, second baseman-4, third baseman-5, shortstop-6, left fielder-7, center fielder-8, and right fielder-9.

Anyway, here it is. It might be easier to crack Navajo codes but good luck.

6 comments :

Bob Timmermann said...

Wednesday's would have been even more interesting to see. Especially if it were the Padres side. They had 50 guys bat.

Nancy said...

As a freshman in high school I was a manager / scorekeeper for the varsity baseball team (14 yo female? Gotta love it!). I was taught on the job and fell in love with it because it helped me enjoy the game. Before that when I was younger I would drive my father insane with questions like "is the inning over yet?". Score keeping forced me to pay attention!

Joe Hass said...

That is absolutely fascinating, Ken. I use a variation of the Project Scoresheet scorecard, and you're absolutely right: as long as you can understand what you've done, that's all that matters. It remains the best part of going to a ballgame for me.

KEN PHISH said...

Here's a play that happened last night at the Sacramento Rivercats Triple A game: Runner @ 3rd; Wild pitch to the backstop (catcher never touches the ball); Runner takes off for home: ball bounces directly back to the pitcher (by now, covering home; pitcher tags out runner. How would you score it?

By Ken Levine said...

1 unassisted is how you'd score that.

sanford said...

Joe Hass mentioned Project scored sheet. Here is a link

http://alexreisner.com/baseball/scorekeeping/

Scroll down to Reisner score sheets and you will find some scoresheets and documentation. It is a great way of keeping score