Tuesday, November 10, 2009

One of those great Hollywood stories

Looking forward to the Sitcom Room seminar this weekend. It’s for would-be writers not looking for short cuts. As opposed to this story:

I was a Story Editor on MASH and was invited to speak to a sitcom writing class at UCLA along with my friend Larry, who at the time was a Story Editor on RHODA. We talked about how to break into the business – the importance of writing great spec scripts. Do’s and don’ts (a lot of which I’ll be discussing this weekend although writing a spec BARNEY MILLER is no longer a “do”.)

We stressed the need for hard work, really studying the shows, setting high standards for yourself. That was the path to a script assignment for one of our shows.

A friend of mine was in the class and overheard the following:

Two coeds talking. Near the end of our discussion one turned to the other.

COED #1: So what do you think, Ken or Larry?

COED #2 (after some consideration): I’ll fuck Larry. I’d rather get a RHODA.

Postscript: Neither of us got lucky that night. And she never got a RHODA. But it was nice to know the students really were taking our career advice seriously.

8 comments :

Tom Quigley said...

At least he didn't hear someone say "Which one of them do I have to sleep with to get out of this class?"...

Jim Stickford said...

This reminds me of the old joke about the dumb wanna-be starlet who was so stupid that she tried to get a head by sleeping with the writer. Don't know why that popped in my head.

J S swanson said...

I've always heard the smart starlets bypassed the Producer, Director, never even thought about doing the Writer & went straight for the Film Editor.

I swear this is true: my vw is plow

Kevin B said...

Wish I could afford the seminar.

Corey said...

So, have you added "Larry vs Me" to your polarization list????

Corey

blogward said...

Were you still wearing the gold velour sweatshirt?

Cap'n Bob said...

So THAT'S why you're running these seminars.

WV: oloon. Chinese-Canadian money.

Mary Stella said...

OMG, she dissed you AND M*A*S*H!

That's brutal.

wv=genif = After the "Me" Generation and GenX came Genif... the young adults who might not be associated with anything in particular.